CSS MenuMaker
Former Criminal Prosecutor Veteran Owned and Run

Call (407) 270-3724

​Text 1-855-725-2716

Attorney Advertising. The material and information contained on these pages and on any pages linked from these pages is intended to provide general information only and not legal advice. You should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction before relying upon any of the information presented here. You are advised that the acts of sending email to or viewing information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Client Review

"Excellent Lawyer

Josh navigated our case with expertise. He was always prompt in responding to inquiries, questions, emails, texts and phone calls. He treats everyone with courtesy and respect. Could not have asked for more."

Rating: 5/5 Stars
Written by:  Mike 
Date Published: January 3, 2016
See More Reviews From

Daytona: 140 South Beach St., Suite 310, Daytona Beach, FL 32114
Winter Park:  2281 Lee Rd., Suite 102, Winter Park, FL 32789       
Lake Mary: ​1540 International Pkwy, Suite 2000, Lake Mary, FL 32746

(407) 270- 3724          josh@joshadamslaw.com

This probate shortcut can be used by many Florida estates. It’s an option if either:

  • the death occurred more than two years ago, OR
  • the value of the probate estate—that’s all the property that would have to go through probate, so
  • it excludes the nonprobate assets
  • described above—is not more than $75,000.

To start this process, the person who was nominated in the will to be executor, or anyone who

inherits property, files a document called a Petition for Summary Administration.

The surviving spouse, if any, must sign and verify the petition. If any beneficiary

doesn’t sign the petition, you must formally deliver (serve) that person with notice that you have filed the petition. (Fla. Stat. 735.201.)

In the petition, you state that the estate qualifies for summary administration, list the deceased person’s assets and their value, and state who inherits which assets.  

The court doesn’t appoint a personal representative (executor or administrator) for the estate. Instead, the court, if it determines that the estate qualifies for summary administration, issues an

order, releasing the property to the people who inherit it. You might use this court order to show a bank, for example, that you are the rightful inheritor of the funds in an account it holds.

There are still protections for possible creditors and special pleadings that must be filed for exempt property with a summary administration. Also, you still must have an attorney for a

summary administration. Still, if the estate does not have significant property, you may be able to have an experienced probate attorney handle your case for a relatively small amount of money. 

The Adams Law Firm, P.A. routinely handles summary administrations. Our turn around time between filing a Petition for Summary Administration and receiving the necessary orders conveying

property are often only several weeks. We have attorneys ready to meet with you who can file these pleadings quickly when time is of the essence.